Welcome to the Australasian Society for
Social and Affective Neuroscience website
Our mission statement
The Australasian Society for Social and Affective Neuroscience (AS4SAN) is a non-profit organisation that aims to promote basic and applied research investigating social and affective behaviour across a wide range of different species using a wide variety of neuroscience and neuropsychological techniques. AS4SAN sees social and affective neuroscience as an interdisciplinary field devoted to the study of central nervous system mechanisms (e.g., neural, hormonal, cellular, genetic) underlying social and affective behaviour, in the context of both normal development and functioning, as well as relevant to clinical disorders.
In addition to promoting research, the goals of AS4SAN are to:
- Encourage and support student and early career researcher endeavours in the area, at all levels of training.
- Create contexts in which researchers at all levels of training can interact in both formal and informal ways, and in which interdisciplinary collaborations can be fostered.
- Demonstrate the considerable applied value of this research area in clinical and community settings.
- Engage in collaborative endeavours with community partners.
- Ensure that the translational value of research in this broad area is communicated effectively to the public.
Image credit: Shan Turner Carroll